Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Dealing with Loss through Writing

If you are reading this because you have recently experienced loss,

I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you.


Yesterday, I walked out of the vet without my loving, adorable dog I have grown up with for almost thirteen years. My mom held me in her arms as I shook and cried myself to sleep, and I'm twenty years old.

As I emerge from this sadness, slowly building myself back up like the rebirth of a phoenix, I grow stronger. Through his illness and seizures, we know he was filled with love and happiness.

But I have to move on.

To cope with his loss, my sadness

I write.

When I lost my grandfather in high school, I explored the sadness of loss through exploring how my character responded to a similar loss. By creating this situation through my own words, I was able to understand my sadness better. 

With the loss of my dog, I respond by writing.

Loss is terrible

But it teaches you so much

And it is necessary to continue doing what you love to do in order to stay healthy, possibly find a creative outlet to explore emotions, positive or negative.

It is important to not keep these emotions closed up inside you, because it can really hurt. 

Sometimes, you need to write

Or paint

Or program

Or dance.

And you likely will cry.

A lot.

Or not at all.

Or anywhere in between.

And those are okay.

In your experience

I grieve with you.

I write to understand my loss. 

~The Whimsical Writer
Please let me know if there is anything you would like me to talk about in anything of the realm of writing. Happy typing!





Images used are Creative Commons-licensed content. :) 
pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment