Monday, July 25, 2016

Starting Your Novel

So

I heard you're starting a novel.



Starting a novel is daunting.

Terrifying.

You may question why you started, and how it is humanly possible to finish.

Don't give up on yourself.

The biggest thing with writing a novel:

Start

And don't stop.

Starting a novel is the hardest part of, well, starting your novel.

I highly recommend planning out before writing a novel. Something I mentioned in My Screenwriting Experience post, was beat sheets which can be very helpful, but you may not need, or know, that much material to start.


I love brainstorming ideas and little scenes, so I recommend carrying around a journal, or even your phone (that's what I use) to jot down those fleeting scraps of inspiration. If you have a friend who writes, it is so motivating to write with them or talk about writing with them. Hearing other ideas can really make your gears work.

Maybe there is a writing group on campus, or often there are free writing workshop centers; I went to these very often when I was younger, which really gave me a strong foundation for the writing.

It is so encouraging to surround yourself with writers and get and give feedback, and ultimately, learn from one another.

More than anything, channel your inner Dory, and just keep writing. I recommend not editing too much or rereading, as it can get you caught up in criticism and self-doubt, but that is up to you.



But I love starting novels. Starting fresh, the first words on your screen, like a baby taking the first steps, is a beautiful sight. But don't burn yourself out in the first few words. If this is your first novel, it will likely feel like you've been writing far longer than you have. Or even if it's your fifth of fiftieth novel. 

But you started the hardest and most beautiful part, 

You've started a novel 

Even if you only just decided to start one. 

~The Whimsical Writer
Please let me know if there is anything you would like me to talk about in anything of the realm of writing. Happy typing!

Images used are Creative Commons-licensed content. :) 
Source: pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment