Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Mental Benefits of Writing

For those of you that don't know, I am entering my junior year of college, and currently taking a summer college course. That being said, I don't have as much time for writing as I would like to. 

Last semester, I took 18 credits, had an internship, and on top of that a load of health problems and one too many hospital visits among many other things. 

But I still wrote. 

I need to find time to write to maintain a healthy mind. 

My finger itch to let words flow into my computer from my mind. 



I went through month long periods where I could not even look at my book. 

I'm going to be honest, writing was not my next priority to school. I spent time with friends at times where I wanted to write, but yearned to connect because "I've blown them off the past five times" or something because all I do is work. 

My freshman year of college I did NaNoWriMo for the first time, so I pretty much hid in my dorm all day to frantically write while also trying to do my psychology homework and write numerous essays.

 I found that I really needed to jot down any inspiration I had and expand on it while I had that inspiration in my head before it forever flees away. 

Also, it is important to set a small amount of time every day, or maybe even once a week. But schedule in a time to write, whether it be a time or a word count goal. Make time to write, even if it is five minutes. Because guess what? 




That's five more minutes of your novel. 

Or play

Or comic book

Or maybe your painting

Or reading

Or doing calculations. 

Find time to do what you love. 



As a student, it is ingrained in our minds to study study study, and if you have free time, 

You must be doing something wrong. 

No. 

You need time to take breaks, 

Write, 

Run, 

Watch a movie. 

If writing is your love, find time to do what you love.

More schools need to remind their students that it is important to find time to do what you love to stay healthy. 


And being healthy, well, that's the way to get good grades, 

Not staying up until morning or crying yourself to sleep from stress. 

I love writing. 

Writing my novel, thinking up ideas, gives me a renewed energy to face my schoolwork. 

If you love writing, write. 

Please. 

Maintain your mental health, 

Because you need your mind healthy and fit to do what you love.  

~The Whimsical Writer
Please let me know if there is anything you would like me to talk about in anything of the realm of writing. Happy typing!

Images used are Creative Commons-licensed content. :) 
Source: pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment